Mother thanks Philippine military for care of rescued Filipino-American activist

Share this News:

Mother thanks Philippine military for care of rescued Filipino-American activist

The mother of Filipino-American activist Chantal Anicoche has thanked the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) for the treatment her daughter received following her rescue in Occidental Mindoro.

Maria Liza said she was “truly humbled” by the care provided to her 24-year-old daughter from her rescue on January 8, 2026 until her departure for the United States on January 30, 2026.

“As a mother, words cannot fully express how grateful I am for the swift and decisive actions taken to ensure her safety and well-being,” she wrote, praising the respect and medical attention shown by the 2nd Infantry Division.

Ms Anicoche, a community organizer and recent psychology graduate from the University of Maryland, went missing during a clash between government troops and suspected New People’s Army (NPA) rebels on January 1, 2026 in Abra de Ilog, Occidental Mindoro.

She had been visiting the upland areas to learn about conditions facing indigenous Mangyan-Iraya people and land and environmental issues.

Soldiers found her on January 8 hiding in a hole about 400-500 meters from the clash site after hearing calls for help.

The military said she needed immediate medical attention after going without food and water for several days.

She was transferred to Camp Capinpin for medical care, debriefing and recovery.

The AFP said Anicoche received voluntary medical treatment and humanitarian assistance.

Share this News:

Discover more from Mindoro Today

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Write Your Comment

Founder’S Profile

Romel “Direk” Ferriol Bernardo

Bernardo Creative Ventures, Inc., the company behind Direk Fuels, Oriental Mindoro’s homegrown gas station chain, and Direk Builders, which rents out heavy equipment, is expanding its portfolio by venturing into online media and content production.

The company’s entry into news media is not surprising, as its founder and CEO, Romel “Direk” Bernardo, was a television writer, producer, and director for over 15 years. From 2002 to 2007, he served as a researcher, writer, and producer for GMA-7’s top-rating show Imbestigador before becoming the executive producer for ABS-CBN’s award-winning documentary program, The Correspondents.

Search
SECTIONs